The White House

Monday, June 14, 2010

Silly Kids and Evolution of Art


In charge:
This is Annaliese with her best buddy in the world Joshua. He was at our house playing over the weekend while his parents (our good friends Lief and Laura) got some packing done. Unfortunately these guys are moving to Oregon in one week. So bummed! But they will be back to come with us to Disneyland in September.
When Laura dropped him off and said good bye, Annaliese turned to him and said, "Be good Joshua." Like he would be the naughty one. He's so so quiet and just goes right along with everything she wants to do. She was thinking, "Since your mom didn't say it, I'm going to say it." Maybe it's because that's the last think I say to her when I drop her off, "PLEEEEEESE be good Annaliese!"

My Reader and funny 4 year olds:
Yesterday at church I saw Annaliese leave the primary room and head down the hall totally crying. I thought, Oh no she doesn't want to go to her class. So I asked her what was wrong. Through her pitiful sobs she said, "I forgot my scriptures!" This was entertaining on many levels. For one, she doesn't have scriptures and has never brought any scriptures to class ever! And secondly, she's three! The child can't read. So, I said, "Give me one second!" I headed to the church library and found the teenie tiniest little scripture book. There was only one like that. So I checked it out. The Librarian said, "Will you even be able to see that?" I said, "It doesn't matter, it's for my 3 year old and she can't read yet. It's perfect." I'm going to have to try and find her one like that. It sounds like a job of Becca and Josh.

Later on that day, I was in my Sunday School class with the 4 year olds. We were talking about being Peacemakers. I said to them, "Did you know that you can create peace in your own homes?" 4 year old Ryan who perpetually has me in stitches said, "Yeah! If you live alone!" True that Ryan! True that! He has a way of bringing reality into the sugar coated discussion. He is wise beyond his years.


Art Evolution:
I have loved watching the evolution of Annaliese's art. This is her first drawing that I discovered of hers. We were at Jonathan's work and she was doodling away. I just happened to look down at the notebook she had been scribbling in to notice it actually resembled something. I think it looks like Wall-e. But who knows how long she had been doing little people for and I just never paid any attention. So I started paying really close attion.


By the next month, she had really gotten into the faces. I had a dry erase board and she'd draw the cutest faces, but then she'd scribble over it or erase it. So if she ever drew something adorable, I would be running through the house like a crazy person screaming, "Don't erase it! Don't erase it! Don't erase it!" While I searched for my camera. This one is probably my all time favorite. She told me it was Papa, and I about fell over laughing because it looks exactly like Papa, beard and all.


The Frigidaire Collection:
I call this her Tim Burton period. (Lasted through most of her 3's) Especially the one on the right. I think I'll frame it. By far my favorite stage, but today I realized that stage has come to a close.


Now that we're in her late 3's she's starting to pay attention to the shape of the eyes, add rosey cheeks and she does hair spewing out from the top of the head. I'll miss the circle mismatched eyes and the zig zagged hair along the top of the head. Also in the last 2 months she's evolved from just drawing people to now drawing animals and insects. She now draws mice, snakes, sharks, fish, dragonflies, butterflies and snails. I'm watching her closely now because she may have Grandpa White's Artistic talent. Time to send her to his Oil Painting classes. And yes, I am that crazy mom who lets her 3 year old use sharpies. Dangerous I know, and I know better.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

I know exactly what you mean! They're military sized scriptures and a lot of kids had them at BYU. They only have certain books available to the non-military public but I think we could wrangle up a mini Book of Mormon and maybe even a mini carrying case. :)

Emily White said...

That would be cool if you could find one. Maybe DI carries them from time to time. I'll totally pay you for whatever you pay for it. She'd be the coolest in her Sunbeam class.

Post a Comment